1. Each student attends school with a desire to succeed, to do better - not to be willfully disruptive in a class or to make life in the classroom difficult for teachers and student.
2. Some students come to school already struggling with:
insecurity and anxiety
low frustration tolerance
expectations of failure
3. Put such students together we will have a boiling cauldron of emotions and disruptions.....and managing the group can appear to be a daunting task indeed.
4. Teachers must come to the group expecting to see the manifestation of these struggles at any given moment and to understand that what they see are mere manifestations of the students’ struggles in the first place.
5. In view of the preceding, teachers must bring a certain Presence to the classroom:
- a confident presence
- a calming presence
- a corrective presence
[To Be Continued]
[Photographic Art by Ric Couchman]