Current Affairs ---
The United States and NATO, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia want regime change in Syria. They want President Assad out of power. Now here is the strangest of things. It is anything but clear as to who are the Friends and Foes in the conflict.
For example, the U.S. is supporting the Kurds who are being bombed by Turkey who seems to be supporting ISIS who is being bombed by the U.S. who is supporting the Rebels who are fighting against the Assad regime who is fighting ISIS who is fighting the Kurds who are being supported by the U.S. who is using bases in Turkey who is bombing the Kurds who are...(and the laughable cycle goes on). In the meanwhile, hundreds of lives are being lost and an unmanageable refugee situation has developed.
Who's fighting/supporting whom:
- The U.S. and NATO are supporting the rebel forces.
- The rebel forces are fighting against Assad.
- The rebel forces are fighting against ISIS.
- Assad is fighting against the rebel forces.
- Assad is fighting against ISIS.
- The U.S. and NATO are bombing ISIS.
- The Kurds are fighting against ISIS.
- The U.S. is giving the Kurds air support.
- Turkey is bombing the Kurds.
- ISIS is fighting against the Kurds.
- Turkey is giving the U.S. permission to use its base to bomb ISIS.
[photo art by Ric Couchman]